- Founded by Henner Dingfelder and Klaus Hadler in 1968.
In 1974, Helmut Kern joined the company.
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Henner Dingfelder
- Chairman of the Board of Directors Dirk Dingfelder
- Board of Directors: Thomas Kern and Peter Fischer
- Employees at the Ammersbek: 220;
27 of these are apprentices
- 130 Service and Sales Partners, 30 of these in Germany
and 100 worldwide in over 50 countries
- Turnover (2011): 32 million euro; 17 million of this or 51 percent in foreign sales
- Since 2006, VdS-certified manufacturer of natural smoke and heat exhaust ventilation (NSHEV) complying with DIN EN 12101-2
- Since 1994, quality management system complying with DIN EN ISO 9001
- Since 2011, certified environmental management system complying with DIN EN ISO 14001
- Winner of the medium-sized enterprise award 2012 ("Großer Preis des Mittelstandes der Oskar-Patzelt-Stiftung")
- In 2011, finalist for the "Großer Preis des Mittelstandes der Oskar-Patzelt-Stiftung" ('medium-sized enterprise award' - given by the 'Oskar-Patzelt Foundation')
- In 2012, Top 100 seal of quality for outstanding innovation management
- Association and committee work: D+H is a member of ZVEI ('German Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers' Association') and VDMA ('German Engineering Federation')
- D+H Mechatronic AG was one of the first companies to develop natural, electric motor-driven smoke and heat exhaust ventilation (SHEV). In 1994, D+H became the first producer of electric SHEV systems to be certified according to DIN EN ISO 9001, launching the first electric SHEV sys-tem with VdS approval in 2006. Since then, D+H Mechatro-nic AG has exerted its influence as a pioneer in the field of smoke and heat exhaust ventilation having gained expe-rience and expertise as the leading provider in this field.
- Electric drives for smoke exhaust and natural ventilation
Reliable and safe drives for smoke exhaust ventilation (SHEV) via skylights and/or façade windows and vents are required by law in most industrial or commercial buildings and numerous residential buildings. After all, smoke and heat exhaust ventilation are neces-sary to keep emergency escape routes clear of smoke. The heat also has to be exhausted, as highly explosive smoke can occur in the event of fire. The D+H window drives have been awarded with international standard certifications and test certificates, for exam-ple, VdS, TÜV, UL, NF, CNBOP, CCLF, EN and ISO.
In residential buildings, controlled natural ventilation using electri-cally controlled window drives is also becoming more established: automated ventilation systems ensure the safe exchange of air and therefore optimised indoor air quality, and offer great ease of ope-ration and secure protection against break-ins. As these systems are not environmentally-friendly but also energy efficient, architects and planners are increasingly utilising this form of ventilation espe-cially for green building concepts connected with certifications in according to LEED or DGNB.
Depending on the field of use and application, the following types of drives would be suitable for SHEV and natural ventilation:
- Chain drives
- Linear drives
- Window locking drives
- Louvre drives
- Domelight fittings
- Door opening drives
- Control panels for smoke exhaust and natural ventilation
The electric window drives can be integrated with the control panels developed by D+H into complete systems for SHEV and/or natural ventilation. The main fields of application of these control technologies are:
- Room and building automation using AdComNet, the first VdS-certified SHEV bus system for easy networking of
complex, decentralised D+H SHEV control panels.
- Smoke vent control panels - from standard solutions in stairwells to complex SHEV systems for large buildings. All control panels are suitable for inclusion in a building management concept.
- Control panels for controlled natural ventilation used to control precisely positioned drives on ventilation flaps
and façade windows.
- Lift shaft smoke extraction by means of LSC Lift Smoke Control system technology: In the event of a fire in the buil-ding, smoke is detected in the lift shaft very early on by a smoke extraction system that permanently monitors the shaft. The smoke exhaust vent at the top of the lift shaft is opened by an electromotive drive. The smoke caused by
the fire can then escape through it without obstruction. As the smoke exhaust vents only have to be opened with LSC in the event of fire, the system provides for vastly improved building energy efficiency; that is, lower costs and less CO2 emissions.
- Alarm devices, detectors and controls
In addition to the wide range of control units, D+H Mechatronic offers a range of components used for smoke/heat exhaust and natural ventilation. These include automatic fire detectors, SHEV buttons, wind/rain sensors, radio controls, room temperature controls, and alarm devices, such as sirens and flashing lights.
- Euro SHEV systems
EN 12101-2 requires complete system solutions for natural acting smoke exhaust ventilation which comprise a domelight or window and an electromechanical drive and suitable control panel. D+H offers complete solutions for this conforming to DIN EN ISO (Inter-national Organization for Standardization) for a variety of profile manufacturers.
- Fire door control systems
D+H designs compact control panels for fire door and sliding door locking systems to allow people and goods to move unobstructed between fire zones. The surroundings are monitored by electronic fire detectors that detect a fire in early time and automatically close the fire doors.Range of services
- D+H and its partners support their customers in the planning phase and, on request, also take over project work and con-sultation with the experts and fire authorities on site. With extensive knowledge of all relevant standards and regula-tions as well as experience gained worldwide with over 100,000 completed buildings, D+H and its partners integrate the SHEV function and natural ventilation into building designs to best economical and technical effect.
- The D+H network of Service and Sales Partners is available for professional installation and commissioning. Our partner system guarantees that D+H products are only installed by trained and experienced service technicians in observance of technical guidelines and regulations – including personal handover and user training.
- Maintenance services: All building operators are responsible for the reliability of their safety facilities. Legislation requires annual maintenance of SHEV systems. By having a mainte-nance contract with a D+H Service and Sales Partner, ope-rators can show at any time that legal obligations are being properly fulfilled.
Prospects and objectives
- Concentration on core competences
D+H's more than 40 years of success is based on its clear focus on the special sector of SHEV/natural ventilation combined with constant innovation. D+H has been able to establish itself in this sector as a global market leader as a result of its high quality products and services. Within the context of the global trend towards economically and ecologically highly efficient and energy-saving SHEV/ventilation system solutions D+H employees and partner businesses can look towards the future with optimism.
- Staff loyalty and commitment to vocational training and further education
Another sign of a corporate culture based on partnership is staff participation in the form of a loan with profit-linked interest intro-duced already in 1990. Another factor is the long period of employ-ment – the majority of staff have been at D+H longer than ten years. Klaus Seyfarth has been responsible for the systematic support of apprentices (currently 27) since 1985. Under his mana-gement, D+H provides vocational training for up to seven profess-sions depending on requirements. Training places are offered every year for industrial clerks, mechatronics engineers, office clerks, electronic engineers for devices and systems, technical product designers, IT system integration specialists, and ware-house specialists/specialist for warehouse logistics. A company training and information centre is available for product training courses in Stapelfeld near Hamburg. This is where not only staff, but also partners and customers can get to know the D+H products.
- Expansion of the national and international partner network
The network of around 130 Service and Sales Partners is crucial
to global corporate success. Many of these specialist owner-mana-ged companies have been working successfully with D+H for decades. The rules of cooperation are quite simple: D+H develops the products that partner companies sell, install and maintain. D+H is obliged to pass on inquiries from interested parties in a specific area to the relevant partner for processing; the partners are obli-ged to sell D+H products. Within the framework of annual partner meetings, central marketing and sales concepts are presented and jointly discussed.
- Henner Dingfelder, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, D+H Mechatronic AG
In 1968, Henner Dingfelder and Klaus Hadler founded Elektrik-Elektronik Dingfelder + Hadler u. Co.; in 1974, Helmut Kern joined the company. In 2002, the company was transformed into an 'Aktiengesellschaft' (public limited company) to give the increasing company size and pending generation change structure in the spirit of partnership. In 2006, Henner Dingfelder and Helmut Kern handed over operative management to the next generation. Henner Dingfelder is still committed not only to D+H, but also to association and committee work in and beyond the Hamburg region. He has been recognised for his business, community and social achievements, for example, by being awarded the title "Hamburger Unternehmer des Jahres" ('Hamburg entrepreneur of the year') in 1995; in 2010, he received the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- Dirk Dingfelder, Chairman,D+H Mechatronic AG
Henner Dingfelder's son has been the Chairman of D+H Mecha-tronic AG since 2006, getting to know the work carried out in the company from working there in his school holidays. Dirk Dingfelder and Thomas Kern both took their first steps towards becoming managers as shareholders of a D+H junior company founded in 1997; after D+H Mechatronic changed its form to an 'AG', Dirk Dingfelder then became a member of the Board to take on full responsibility for the company. Just like his father, Dirk Dingfelder is involved in numerous trade associations and committees, including being the Vice President of the NFE ('North German association for electric and information technologies') and member of the Board of the trade association for safety within the ZVEI ('German Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers' Association'). In 2011, Dirk Dingfelder was elected President of the 'Gesamtver-band des Hamburger Handwerks' ('Hamburg Trade Association').
- Thomas Kern, Board of Directors, D+H Mechatronic AG
Thomas Kern, a trained master toolmaker, got to know his father's company during internships and holiday jobs, before officially becoming an employee at D+H in 1990. His initial range of tasks included setting up his own rack production which he was clearly able to improve technically and economically thanks to the process innovations he developed. In 1993, Thomas Kern took over the management of production, and in 2003 he joined the D+H Mechatronic AG Board of Directors.
- Peter Fischer, Board of Directors, D+H Mechatronic AG
Since 2005, business administration graduate, Peter Fischer, has been responsible for the Sales and Marketing Department on the Board. Under his management, the company has continued to do very well. In fact, domestic sales has grown by over 50% by focus-sing for instance on large-scale projects, and the proportion of foreign trade has risen from 45 percent to 51 percent of the overall result. Altogether, the turnover from 2005 to 2011 almost doubled.
Reprinting free of charge